Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One evening in the crobotics workshop



The craft group to which I belong, the Crafty Kittens, meets once every three weeks or so. Normally each of us does her own thing, but this week we decided we would all make crobots – little crocheted robot toys.* Not an obvious choice for me, as I don't like technology and am generally allergic to cute, but for some reason these caught my fancy.

They're mostly made by crocheting in rounds, and we all got a bit lost working in circles and forgetting quite where we were up to, but that's the beauty of crochet; you can wing it, and compensate for mistakes, much more easily and successfully than you can in knitting. Kitty had only tried crochet once before, yet she got the hang quickly and had a third of a sumobot by evening's end. I chose the dogbot, possibly in tribute to Doctor Who's K-9 (who, despite being no more than a discarded kerosene tin welded to some old pram wheels, always seemed a more convincing actor than Tom Baker). I got my dog's head and ears done, and am hoping that once the head is tightly stuffed, it will lose its disconcerting hexagonal shape. Now for the body and legs, before he becomes my newest Unfinished Project.


Works in progress:
Dogbot by Janine


Thinker by Kate
Sumobot by Kitty

















Mechanobot by Bec

































And then I might tackle a zombie. Embrace the silliness …

 
* Patterns taken from Crobots by Nelly Pailloux (Murdoch Books, ISBN 9781741969634).

No comments:

Post a Comment